View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #93
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Update: So between Monday night and Tuesday night I pulled the engine outta the car and tore it apart. I'm super happy that the safety features I setup on my ECU worked out well. The pistons and head showed zero signs of detonation, and the valves also did not looked damaged / burned. all the damage i got was due to heat. Since the engine did reach a peak of 143*C according to the logs i was expecting MUCH worse damage than it actually happened. I had never seen a MLS head gasket get baked this bad, I'm super stoked the head and block aren't completely screwed.

When i was in the pits pulling in i noticed at idle i only had about .8 bar of oil pressure. meaning i over cooked the oil. there was no abnormal noises, from the head or anything. draining the oil nothing was abnormal, camshafts rockers all look solid like they had good lubrication. no scoring on the cams or head. Rocker arms looked good no hot spots or scoring. That's about where the good news end though, when i pulled the pan off the block to finish checking everything i found glitter. It is so small that i can;t even pick it up with my finger nails but the oil does feel gritty. best description i can say is it feels like wet 1800-2000 grit sand paper. so I'm stuck at a cross roads, do i toss new bearings in it and risk tossing a rod at the next event or do i make bad financial decision and just build the block and head? I'm going to sleep on it for a couple of nights and figure out a game plan. I refuse to give up on this car just because of a road bump. I just hadn't planned on building a full race engine this soon. I wanted to spend more time on the track with the stock block.

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-22-2018 at 12:55 AM..
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote