View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #28
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
its normal for these old engines. When you come to a stop at a light the ECU runs closed loop for a few seconds, then jumps back to open loop slightly rich and sits there until its time to go.

I noticed the same thing years ago. I took a video of it too, want to see...

I also made a thread asking "why, why?" and the only thing I can conclude is that either back in that day, narrowband sensors were unreliable at a stop (cold EGT?) Or, it had something to do with the longevity of the engine, perhaps running slightly rich at an idle helps keep the engine healthy long-term. Remember this is 90's technology so sometimes we have no real explanation for what we see.
Correct, the idle is supposed to be rich. The O2 sensor is too cold to read accurately after the car has been idling for more than a few seconds.

ECU wants to see .8v but the O2 sensor will start drifting down to .5v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi802 View Post
Not sure if this is relevant at all, but I've also noticed that my temperature doesn't go above 155 degrees fahrenheit. Ever.

I drove 60 miles and it still stayed at about 150. I do have the ISIS "colder" thermostat which is apparently for high performance engines.

I dont intend on drifting my car, but i do plan on occasionally getting on it. Should i replace the thermostat with a standard oem one?
Yes. You will stay in cold idle till you get above ~160. Cold thermostats are just a bandaid for "race car." I will assume your MPG is bad and you are rich all over the map.

Get a 176F/80C thermostat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
If you have electrical fans turn them off until 176f/80c or place a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator until 176f/80c.

Changing the tstat isn't gonna make the water any cooler or hotter it just opens at a certain temp. The fans, radiator and air do the cooling. So no!
That's not how it works. The thermostat keeps the engine at a fixed temperature by opening and closing incrementally. Bleeding the hot water into the cooling system as needed.

It is what keeps the hot water in the car. Regulates the temperature to a fixed amount. Changing the thermostat operating temperature will make the water stay hotter or cooler.