View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
nakaathony

Trader Rating: (0)
nakaathony is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry High HC at 15 MPH? 240sx S13 Emissions Test

The dreaded California emissions test strikes yet again....

So i bought my S13 back in (2015) and it was registered and said to "pass smog", so I went to smog it for change of ownerships and what not and then it got "Gross polluter". I drove it like that for a year because the registration was still current at the time. I failed emission all across the board from HC,CO, and NOx in (2016). I knew that the catalytic converter was one of the main causes because it probably hasn't been replaced since the dinosaur ages.

Anyways, I finally went to smog it again (01/15/17) with my free retest before I went back up to college. I knew it wasn't going to pass, but I need a moving permit from the DMV to take my car with me to college to fix it. Before going back in to smog, I seafoamed it, then replaced the sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, O2 sensor, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, did and oil change, been running 91 gas ever since. These caused my emission number to drop alot! But I still didn't pass ( I knew I wasn't going to pass because I had yet to replace my catalytic converter).

Finally, Im back in school and I get the Catalytic Converter installed from a local shop (great shop!). So yesterday (02/12/17) I take my car to get smogged at a shop in Milpitas. My numbers were great, but I STILL DIDNT PASS...
So I passed everything in the functional and visual, But for emissions, I failed only the HC at 15mph (Passed at 25mph). I passed everything else and the Cat is doing its job with the NOx and the CO, but what is causing my HC to be twice as high at 15mph?! Keep in mined, everything else is practically new that I changed.

Also, I noticed every time I drive long distances, I notice two spots of oil or some type of liquid on top of my intake (pictures), I don't know where it comes from? and I don't know if oil is shooting form the crankcase or something? Could that be the cause of the high HC because of unburned fuel?

The pictures below show my emission numbers from Gross Polluter to an almost Pass and the oil spot in the engine bay, if you could check those out that would be great!

I've been doing research but I still don't know what it could be ? maybe the timing, unburned fuel, leaks, compression, clogs, ahh, Any Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smog 1.jpg (71.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg smog 2.jpg (52.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg smog 3.jpg (80.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg smog4.jpg (62.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg smog 5.jpg (60.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg smog 6.jpg (67.4 KB, 33 views)
nakaathony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links