Thread: Arp
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
On the main studs, I did not measure them until the first issue(one snapped, one stretched). After measuring them I found that only the one was past the limit. Once those replacements came in, the 2nd one stretched. I fully accept the possibility of user error, but at that point I was being extra cautious, using a known good torque wrench and liberally applying the ARP lube to the stud threads, the nut threads, and both sides of the washers. I've also been told by others that you shouldn't torque them down twice which I think is ridiculous as you have to do so in order to measure bearing clearances. I have also heard this is a very common issue on their SR20 main studs and its a reason a lot of people will only run the head studs.

As for the flywheel, I have not measured the thickness. I fully believe the finish on it is what caused this issue. Regardless, I ordered new oem bolts, wire wheeled all of the finish off around the bolt holes, and applied red loctite to both the bolt threads and the threads inside the crank, so hopefully the issue is solved. My main complaint is with their customer service. I appreciated them replacing the studs that they did even after I told them I was more than happy to pay for them. They still could have responded to at least one of my attempts to contact them.