View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #24
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
Trader Rating: (3)
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Wow, this thread is chock full of confusion.

Ok, I'm gonna attempt to explain this, and make sure the OP has his shit adjusted right.

With the lower bracket (the tube you're talking about cutting) thread down to a stockish height, where there is space between it and the spring perch, loosen the spring perch until the spring is loose. So it can move around. Now, thread it up until it contacts the bottom of the spring, but doesn't compress it at all. This is zero preload. From there, you should be able to take out the other 2 collars that are under the perch, and thread the the lower bracket (tube you're talking about cutting) all the way up to the lock it against the spring perch.

If that is not low enough, you can back the lower bracket (tube) off some, and lower the spring perch with it (locking them against each other again). This is called "drooping the spring." This will basically lower the car even more, but at the expense of a little shock travel. Not a big deal as long as you don't overdo it.

The only downside to this, is if the suspension ever unloads on, say, a driveway, or inclined entrance, the spring is free to move around a bit. Again, not usually a huge deal. That's why some coilovers have helper springs. They allow you to droop the spring, without unloading the spring when the suspension unloads.

Hope all that makes sense.

If you've done all that and it's still not low enough, your options are:

a) get a shorter spring, like what was posted above

b) cut the lower bracket (tube) or spring

It what was posted above is true about the lip in the lower bracket, that may be your only option. I would think this problem would have been posted before now though if that's the case, so.. who knows.

Good luck.