View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I've never seen a built engine go even 20,000 miles

I've seen a properly maintained factory engine go 250,000 miles+

you get 90% more mileage from a factory engine, 90% of the time.

Part of the reason built engines are not friendly as daily drivers is their clearances are too large for frequent cold starts and cold driving. A built engine needs warmup "laps" where the car is driving gently for the first 30 minutes to expand internal engine parts and heat the oil up. Then for 20 minutes it can be driving harder to finish warming the oil to a full 210*F~ the process takes 40-50~ minutes for most engines to fully expand parts and warm engine oil.

And then finally it can be used near full power 500+ horsepower

If you don't need 500 horsepower+ from a 2.0L engine then there is no point using forged parts. ask me why

Another problem I've noticed, an sr20 with a large bearing clearance will put excessive wear and tear on the rod bearing #1 as it is the farthest away from oil pressure during a cold start. The motor ultimately fails gradually and rod knock #1 just from being cold started with a thicker, 'racing' weight oil. Which is necessary once the engine hits full operating temperature with such a large clearance.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote