View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #18
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_monster View Post
Hey, sweet build and glws! I'm interested to why you eliminated your knock sensor though. I know the ks is ignored by the ecm past 4800rpm on a sr20 but what keeps your motor safe from detonation before then?
It's a stock motor running american gas. It's not like I'm trying to squeeze an extra 50-70hp out of the stock turbo by putting washers on the wastegate. Knock sensor is irrelevant, with stiff motor mounts it sends an erroneous signal to the knock sensor which will cause the ecu to retard it before that point.

It took a lot of trial and error to determine this since nobody had a good answer or was running stand alone engine management at the time which I still think is the smartest thing for anyone to do with any of these cars rather than trying to put an oem swap in with a bunch of aftermarket upgrades like chassis and engine stiffening.

That vibration needs to go somewhere and if you have sensors calibrated for a certain amount throwing codes in normal operating conditions, how much is that really going to save your engine from daily driving it in optimal conditions?