View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 05:41 AM   #7
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post
I don't think you NEED it. From my understanding, it appears to be used to provide power for the instrument light bulb checks. The relay piggybacks the ground signal off the alternator L wire to perform the brake light bulb check. When you think about, it's downright laughable, but hey, electrical engineering wasn't that great in the '80s. I can't find a decent schematic for the diode block; I'd need to remove and test it to see how the diodes are arranged internally.
I am with you, except for the fact that I understand why it was used. Cars today still use the same concept.

You want to be able to 'check the bulbs' to ensure that a bulb isn't burn't out. otherwise you might have a CEL or ALT light, meaning you have a problem, but you wouldn't know since the bulb is no good.

For me I ONLY care about the alt charge light. Sure I've got a bare bones 'race car', but why not use something simple as a single wire circuit? The more I think about it I don't need the diode box or check relay to do this.

+12v with key on goes to the ALT dummy light, from there is goes to the L wire on ALT. that means the light comes on when not running and I send a signal to the coil. The relay is used to check the other bulbs...which I could care less about...I'll check my own brake fluid.

Am i correct in this thought process?