View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
The gears and synchro sleeves are the same. The baulk ring between ka and sr are different.... Everything else is the same
there are lots of little differences throughout the trans (KA vs SR), and again through the years. Some SR trans are different from other SR trans, for example. I took apart a couple KA transmissions trying to get parts for an SR trans rebuild and just couldn't find the parts I needed. For example the plate that bolts over the bearings on the front of the transmission was completely different from one to the next. One had an overhang for the reverse gear cut in it that wouldn't fit the next trans. And then theres the forks, some SR trans always break 5th gear fork and need the new 'updated' fork you can't take from a KA trans, it must be purchased.

The SR uses the same baulk ring for 1st as it does for 4th
and it uses the same two between 2nd and 3rd also (it is a two piece design, expensive)
Some have synchronized reverse, some do not.

Currently there is no rebuild kit for SR specific trans. In the past I had to order two 2x KA kits to rebuild 1x SR trans. Now however, I am fairly sure you can order only the pieces you want, you just need to know where they come from (I think its a 98 Xterra transmission that uses the SR baulk rings iirc)
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote