View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
LeLyn

Trader Rating: (0)
LeLyn is an unknown quantity at this point
RB New member, engine swap thread pt#1

Hello everyone. New member to the forum. I'm going to be writing up a build thread on my engine swap project. I have a 1973 240z that currently has the stock l24 engine in it, however someone swapped out the 4 speed for a 5 speed transmission. After fighting with the flat top carbs for a while, I gave up and swapped over a set of round top carbs. Things were great for a few months and then they began to run poorly as well. Long story short, I miss fuel injection and have all but given up on the 40 year old Datsun power plant.
I have decided to do an RB25det NEO swap with the car. I purchased a 2001 Skyline R34 engine, ecu and rwd 5 speed transmission. I also ordered an engine swap harness from wiring specialties as well as an engine/trans mount and oil pan kit from CXRacing. I have already swapped out the factory rear diff for a spare I had for my 2005 Subaru STI, so the car is currently sporting a 3.90 geared 4 spider R180 with limited slip unit. I'm waiting on the wiring harness to arrive some time mid month and then the swap will begin.
I have already changed the timing belt and tensioner on the RB as well as installed a new water pump and thermostat (The engine only has 26xxx miles on it. I have also installed the front mount intercooler. I plan on swapping the oil pan on the RB25 for an aluminum front sump pan sometime this week, prepping things before the actual swap begins. If all goes well, the swap shouldn't take but a week or so (Not my first engine swap, I've also done an EJ20 turbo engine into my 65 VW Beetle (Huge project by the way) and a compound turboed 12v Cummins swap into my 81 Chevy pickup). I plan on diving in during the holiday break from work right before the end of the year.
I'm looking for any pointers from those who may have done this swap in the past. Things to watch out for as well as get an idea of what you did about the drive shaft. I already know that it will have to be modified, but I'm wondering if either the skyline or 240z drive shaft was long enough to have shortened. I have both here but I'm wondering if I'll be able to simply have the tube cut down and a joke swapped or if I'll have to have both yokes cut off and a new tube made.
I'll post pictures of things as they progress. Thanks ahead of time for any assistance anyone offers. I look forward to sharing my project with everyone, and as always, I'm open to criticism both good and bad, provided they criticism is productive and things stay civil Thanks again for everyones time.
LeLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links