View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #72
Jo_Galezo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Jo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
I’ve been 100% freelance for 6 years now. I’ve been shooting for about 12 years. The money is in advertising/commercial work. I turn down weddings/babies/family/event shit. It’s pennies. It’s a good way to cut your teeth, play with lighting, learn to direct people but ultimately you have to move away from that stuff if you want to be taken serious. Not that there aren’t wedding photographers out there making money, but that’s a hard grind (working every weekend? Fuck that) for clients who give zero shits about you, only themselves.

Here’s a couple pieces of advice:

Assist good photographers. Good as in good work, but also good as in they are willing to let you learn. Be up front and let them know what your plans are. You’ll learn more from veterans than anything else other than doing it yourself. I can pretty much set up any lighting set up (from any brand), camera, grip, etc etc that is out there and that’s because I’ve assisted. I still assist, but only two photographers.

Get your feet’s in the door with Art Directors at agencies. Ad agency work is where it’s at. Here’s an example. That Wahl shoot I mentioned, that shoot cost over $330,000. I got my day rate, plus usage that is more than what some people make in a year. ONE SHOOT.

That brings me to the next point. Don’t charge hourly (sorry Jo_Galezo). It’s fine for starting of but eventually you have to know your worth and you should be charging your Day Rate, Usage, Equipment, Storage, Travel, etc etc. It’s fine to underbid stuff early on to ge the job, but at some point you have to pay for shit. I had a client ask fro some crazy shit. It’s was a 6 month long shoot that I KNEW was crazy and they only way I’d do it is if the money was there. The estimate was like $100k. They didn’t have the budget for that BUT if I would have bid it less to get the job I would have LOST money. Not good business.

Avoid fashion. Unless that’s your thing. It’s HARSH. Especially in Manhattan and LA. A friend of mine is a semi famous fashion photographer in NY and the shit he tells me about fashion is depressing.

I still have a long way to go in my career, but its rolling at this point. Most big photographers will tell you it takes 10 years to build a brand well. It certainly happens overnight or some people but be in it for the long haul.

Amazing fact after fact & lol yeah no hard feelings, im 20 right now. Working with small people & they still laugh at my hourly price. My professors tell me about their day rates & all that stuff. I just have yet to network with the proper clients who have the budget. But great advice nonetheless! Do you have a website? I’d love to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jo_Galezo is offline   Reply With Quote