View Single Post
Old 06-20-2023, 04:15 AM   #2
StorminMatt

Trader Rating: (0)
StorminMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
This is interesting. Today, I went to Reno to pick up a CTS-V accessory drive from a guy who ended up not using it for his project. Naturally, since I mentioned using it for my E-Rod swap, the topic of smog came up. And I was surprised at what I heard. Now lots of people like to crap on California about its strict and inane smog tests (which we DO have). It’s therefore hard to imagine any place actually being MORE strict. But Nevada actually IS - at least in places where they actually do smog tests (Reno and Vegas areas). What do you face in these places in terms of smog?

1. Smog tests every year (vs every two years in California)

2. New cars don’t have to smog for three years, or five years for a hybrid. In California, new cars don’t have to smog for eight years.

3. Cars 1967 and older are smog exempt. In California, cars 1975 and older are smog exempt.

4. Engine swaps are as much of an issue as they are in California, but there doesn’t seem to be an avenue like the referee to legalize them. Not sure if this is possible. The state website actually DOES mention rules for swaps, but is unclear what steps need to be done to legalize them.

Now he did say that maybe some of the limits may be higher in Nevada, but neither he nor I could confirm this. On the other hand, most of Nevada is exempt - more so than California. So if you plan to move to Ely or Tonopah, you have nothing to worry about. But smog seems to be quite strict in Nevada’s more populated areas. If you plan to move to Vegas and smog is a concern, you might want to look into moving to an outlying area where you are exempt.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote