View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
harangatang can only hope to improve
Fender well wiring harness relocation

I don't know if anyone has done this before, so I figured I would show what I did with mine.

As everyone knows, the harness in the drivers-side front wheel well is notorious for having rubbing issues when lowering the car at all. I had mine tucked up on top of the seam weld for about 2 years, but my new 18x11et-5 Equips have killed it in a week or so. Rubbed all the way through a piece of brass I had taped in the harness, the loom, and about a dozen wires.

Edit: Because I know someones gonna ask, I did this instead of routing it through the engine bay cause this is a lot cleaner imo than having a chunk of wires running unnecessarily through your bay. kthx

This is where I used to have it, like most of us probably

So I did this (pardon the cell phone pics):

1. Started off by completely unlooming and untaping the harness.
2. You wanna cut the harness pretty close to where it enters the engine bay by the overflow tank so you have plenty of harness to pull through the fender arch.
3. Next, I cut AND labeled the wires ONE BY ONE. This negates soldering the wrong wires back together later.
4. After you get them all labeled (I had 57 on my zenki), you'll need need to use something for a pull string (I used a broken metal coat hanger and a pretty thick wire). Tape the end of the harness up [with the pull string inside] that you'll be pulling through the fender so that the end wont get stuck on anything inside, cause it's a DAMN tight fit.
5. Next, you need to cut the holes to pull the harness through. I used a 1&3/4in hole saw to cut the 2 holes in the fender arch.
6. Pull the harness through the hole in the corner by the firewall out of the hole up by the overflow tank (use my pics as reference of where I made the hole at)
7. Now you'll need to solder all the wires back together. I strongly suggest going one by one again to avoid fucking something up and using heat shrink on every joint. It will come out cleaner and you won't have to fuck with a bazillion feet of electrical tape that's going to eventually come off.

This took me about 6 hours to do. Most of it re-soldering the wires back together.

Enjoy!

harangatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links