Thread: Ca18det FAQ
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #16
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to stinky_180
i'm pretty sure the ca18det ecu is similar to the other nissan ecu's. heres a writeup on finding the diagnostic codes for a sohc, might be similar to the ca18det:

1. Accessing to the ECU

The ECU is located to the right of the passenger footwell. You need to remove two fastener of the right doorstep in order to remove the kick panel. To remove the plastic fasteners, unscrew the center part and pull out the other part. Two metal screw and a fastener hold the kick panel. Some kind of pitch is also present.

Under the panel you now see the ECU with its connector. Unfortunaly, you have to access to the other side of the ECU. Unscrew the unit and turn it 180 degree on the vertical axis without unpluggin it.

You now see the front of the unit. An ajustment screw, a green inspection lamp and a red one are present. The screw is use to adjust the idle speed and to change the diagnostic mode.

MARK THE ORIGINAL POSITION OF THIS SCREW. UPON DIAGNOSTIC COMPLETION, RETURN THE SCREW TO THE PREVIOUS POSITION. OTHERWISE, ENGINE IDLE SPEED MAY CHANGE.

2. The ECU modes

The electronic control unit have five mode:

Mode I- Exhaust gas sensor monitor (Normal mode)
Mode II- Mixture ratio feedback control monitor
Mode III- Self-diagnostic
Mode IV- Switch on/off diagnostic system
Mode V- Real-time diagnostics system.

The unit automatically return to normal mode I when the ignition is switched off.

Only mode III will be studied here. Troubles code are stored on mode III. The stored codes will be lost if the car battery is disconnected or if after selecting mode III, mode IV is selected.

3. Changing to mode III.

- Turn the ignition 'ON'
- Turn the ECU adjusting screw fully clockwise.

The inspection lamps will flash onces, the unit will be in mode I. The inspection lamps will flash twice, the unit will be in mode II. The inspection lamps will flash 3 times, the unit will be in mode III. The unit will continually cycle through the five modes until the screw is turn back.

- Turn the screw back after the lamp has flashed 3 times.
- You are now in self diagnostic mode III.

4. Reading the trouble codes.

The codes are indicated by the number of both red and green lamps. First the red lamp flashes and then the green one. The red lamp correspond to units of ten and the green lamp to units of one. For example, when the red lamp flashes once and the green lamp flashs twice, this signifies the number "12".
stinky_180 is offline   Reply With Quote