View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
e30cabrio
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
e30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
It's possible, the studs usually have to be welded in, but as long as it's done right there shouldn't be a problem with it. You could also look into bolt-on spacers that change bolt pattern. I'm thinking about getting some 4 to 5-lug 25mm spacers, that way it'll be really easy to switch between 4-lug and 5-lug wheels whenever I want.
Yea, the only thing is, I am trying to get my fitment closer. With the 20-25mm adapter I am using right now, it is making the wheel/tire sit out way too far for me. This is more for a "race" car, so I don't want to have to be stretching and poking so much like most guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Imbalance would be very minimal, probably absolutely un-noticeable. If you are really extra anal-retentive then you can get them balanced. If you drill the holes the right size the studs will just press in like normal, you only have to weld them if you screw up or just plain don't know what you are doing. As far as safety goes they should be 100% fine. I don't see any reason why the hub would break just from a few extra holes. Search for the DIY thread, this exact procedure is outlined in there.
That is also what I think, imbalance would be minimal. Since the rotational mass is so close to the center of the wheels, it will be almost negligible. Plus, the weight that is being removed from the hub isn't very much either.

I would also only assume that if any place can drill a wheel for a new bolt pattern, then they can drill hubs into a new bolt pattern as well.

I didn't realize there was a DIY thread, I will try to search for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Imbalance would be very minimal, probably absolutely un-noticeable. If you are really extra anal-retentive then you can get them balanced. If you drill the holes the right size the studs will just press in like normal, you only have to weld them if you screw up or just plain don't know what you are doing. As far as safety goes they should be 100% fine. I don't see any reason why the hub would break just from a few extra holes. Search for the DIY thread, this exact procedure is outlined in there.
This is something I don't understand. I noticed when people drill new bolt patterns into the wheels, they don't do it so that the holes are more equally spaced out. This could partially be due to the indents on the back of the wheel's mounting surface. However, if doing it to a hub, I wouldn't have to worry about that. So I figure I could get them to space out the bolt pattern as evenly as possible, so it looks almost like a truck's hub, with 10 holes.

thanks for the input guys.