View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #86
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Again, I daily drove my unknown mileage imported redtop sr20 for 8 years at anywhere from stock to 300whp. I NEVER opened that engine up aside from installing cams after the first 2 years, and regular oil changes.
You don't need to build an sr20 to have a reliable 400hp engine. If you DO then your tuner is garbage and relies on those aftermarket internals to withstand his too-aggressive tune.
At 400rwhp I would say the bottom end of any stock sr20det is on borrowed time no matter how good the tune. That is close to what, 460bhp? Almost 500 from a stock 20 year old 2liter engine is asking for oops no matter what manufacturer.

The mistake here is trying to modify the sr20 without owning the machine shop equipment to do everything yourself and being experienced enough to do it well.

sr20/2jz is an amazing engine. They all are (the ones that matter). Opening anyone of them and doing surgery could cost 10k. If it was done right and tuned right there isn't any reason for them not to last 200,000 miles. Its just a whole lot of things need to line up that normally people don't have the tools or attention to detail to be able to achieve that kind of longevity, and it usually winds up being around 10% or less of what was possible, as evidenced by the OEM who did this, they setup a strategy refined over the last 30+ years to get better with time.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote