View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #67
racinjayson

Trader Rating: (0)
racinjayson is an unknown quantity at this point
I said I was going to do this last year and I have. I've successfully shortened and mated a six speed trans. to light 17lb clutchmaster fx700 clutch for all other sr's and I've found out some interesting things while doing it. The people who think that the six speed is weak have no idea what their taking about. I had both 5 and 6 speed tranny's apart and sitting side by side. The truth is that the gears are the same size. The only reason people think the tranny is weak is because of the behemoth of a 40lb dual mass flywheel in front of it. It's simple physics, take a 40lb rotational mass spinning at say 5000 rpms and then try to slow it down with one transmission gear, say 2nd and what do you get, no 2nd gear. The reason the 5 speeds hold up to the abuse better is quite simply due to the light weight flywheel's available to it. I solved this problem and I'm going to make more if anyone is interested. I'll be selling them on eBay in the coming months so stay tuned. Mind you it's no easy task and requires a lot of calculations to make it right, but when it's finished you can mate the 6 speed tranny to any sr20 clutch available. I will upload some pics once I get back home to my computer.
racinjayson is offline   Reply With Quote