Thread: Dyno faq
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #78
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Here's a question.

What recommendation can you give to someone that is getting started as a tuner?

Recommended reading?
Recommended tools(hardware/software)?
Honestly there is nothing like actually doing the darn thing, I have no engineering background (school wise) totally self taught, I did some USAF tech stuff on thermodynamics in my short stint in ROTC and was always around airplanes growing up so I guess that kind of helped. I actually sought out books on thermodynamics, exhaust system design and even fluid dynamics. Also understanding Lambda and lambda correction helps A LOT.

The best way to get a crash course in my opinion is to hit up Seth from EFI university and see when they have a discounted EFI univeristy class near your region. If you get the basics of AFR and can tune and understand the basic idea of an AFC or piggy back you could go straighgt for the second level course they offer.

Real time on the dyno is priceless though, watching you hit one key, then immediately seeing the torque or afr change immediately in real time, starts to click in a pattern an dyou start to get a feel for how everything is applied in practice. I lucked out and partnered up with a great friend who happens to own his own dyno dynamcis, This allowed to be spend hundreds of hours experimenting, writing my own notes and then applying some of my other learning in a controlled enviornment on my own build and a few other show cars we had. I am all about the hands on. I have been tuning for 9 years now, started with an AFC and a wideband in 01-02 and graduated to Haltech and dynos by 03-04. The rest is history. (although I really do want to build another 500-600 whp car in the future).