View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcm2435 View Post
thats not what friction modifier does at all, it actually allows the clutch disks to slip a little to prevent chattering and premature wear
I know what the friction modifier does. I was talking about synthetic gear oil causing excessive slipping which produces a lot of heat and speeds up wear. This is why most manufactures of clutch type differentials such as Kazz advise against it, in fact a lot of domestic manufactures that make these type of units for drag cars (Aubrn, Eaton, etc.) will not warranty a differential if synthetic oil has been used in it.

Although it does appear that I am wrong about the Nismo unit requiring a non synthetic oil (learn something new every day). In fact based on some quick research it seems that Nismo actually recommends a LOW FRICTION 75w140 synthetic oil to be ran in their diff. Here are some links related to your question.
Nismo 2way diff oil? Which oil type to use? Synthetic????

nismo 2 way lsd, what oil? - Hardtuned.net

I also found this on the Nismo jp website
NISMO | Notes on installing NISMO LSD

That link contains a bunch of info on your diff including what weight oil to use as well as a link to the rebuild kit if you wanted to completely rebuild the diff while its apart. Based on the information I found on the Nismo site I would say that Redline 80w140 should be fine to run in your particular diff.

That's probably way more information then you wanted but I'm board and this helped me procrastinate on finishing my term paper lol.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote