View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #13
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
as has been said the BMW gearboxes have much different ratios to the Nissan boxes, so can often ruin your gearing.

the bmw diesel boxes are the most common ones, with the larger shafts. so 330d/530d.

some people say the e46 m3 box is the same as the r34gtr and the v160 supra box.

the rb25 box is the same as the z32 box and some truck things you guys get.
the early 350z box has loads of issues, the later cd09's have better syncros but are real expensive over here as the 350z guys all want them too.
s15 asin 6 speed is made of chocolate and wont like big power for long.its the same as in is200 and mx5.

I went rb25 box as it ws the simplest route but id expect it to blow 3rd at decent power levels.
Interesting, if the getrag boxes are all the same that opens up some interesting bellhousing swap options. The diesel boxes arent as accessible over here in the US so those are pretty much out for us.

Found some pricing for the abc clutch adapter kit which is the best quality/most capable kit it seems. Just the flywheel for the tilton 7.25" clutch and the adapter plate+hardware, as well as the release bearing is about $1700. Depending on clutch options from tilton youre looking at 600-700. Plus the cost of the transmission itself youre in pretty deep. The pmc motorsport setup all in is about $1700 with the twin plate clutch option, significantly cheaper if you go single disk. Looks like the best deal there although im not sure about the durability/reputation of Sachs clutches if anyone can shine some light on that.
Looks like this is the route im going to be taking in the near future, although the deciding factor is going to be the adapter setup. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get away with using the abc clutch setup but save a few dollars? Seems like theyre drastically overpricing their flywheel and adapter plate but ideally I would like to run the tilton 7.25" clutch as my build is a bit more track oriented.
Any info or speculation is welcome, Im all for some spitballing ideas here!
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote