Thread: Finally an S14
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #111
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
2013, back from the dead.

So I got tired of keeping the thread updated and had Phlip take it down, (set to invisable), I kinda hated to do that considering how many actual Koukis there are. So here goes round 2.

I did the 5 speed swap, put in an ABS S14 vlsd with low miles, works great! Then she gave up the ghost at 202k miles, rod knock. I knew something like this was coming, I just knew it. The previous owner (as I'm the 2nd owner), didn't take care of this car and when I removed the valve cover it showed. Sludge in the head, baked on hard and thick. I'm surprised the car lasted this long with the thrashing I've put on it.

I hadn't initially planned on doing anything more than a stock rebuild, but then while looking for some ARP hardware I was contacted by another forum member that not only had the ARP hardware I was looking for, and also had a set of Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods, after working out a deal I nabbed these bad boys. The bottom end was already getting torn apart, why not add a little insurance to the bottom end? If you'll notice the rod on the far right (which is #1 on the install), it's been overheated from a spun bearing. . . when I got it I was told it was still useable and in spec. Adam convinced me to have it double checked by a machinist and I thank him for doing so. Turns out it was warped, but $20 later Hollis at HP Engines had it back in shape! While I was there I had to look around. . .

The Plymoth Duster isn't really one of my favorite muscle cars, but this one looked great!

You'll notice a Honda B series on a dolly, Hollis does machine work on everything. I'm pretty sure I saw a Toyota R22, a Honda H22, plenty of big blocks, small blocks, and even a diesel engine. Hollis had a lot going on, and I made sure to thank him for taking time out of his busy schedule to fix my connecting rod. Hollis also did all the machine work and assembly on my SR20 that's in my S13, on the dyno alone that thing has taken a beating in 112 degree heat. After hanging out for a little while it was time to get to work, Adam jumped right on assembling the bottom end with my newly refinished connecting rod. Before it goes in the car the block is going to be painted black to look stock again. Adam is busy trying to convince me to paint it Chevy orange but this isn't a fan boi, attention whore, mommy and daddy didn't show me enough attention, car. This is an occaional daily that I plan on tracking at V.I.R. in HPDEs and auto-x from time to time. We're not getting crazy with the rebuild (yet). While home for the weekend I also got the chance to take out a few skeet, skeet.

And also got a chance to meet the newest addition to the family! My sisters new puppy Kelsie
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote