View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
LaMaR-
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
LaMaR- is an unknown quantity at this point
Not long after that last photo I ended up separating from my wife. A girl I had been dating since high school and whom I had married when I joined the military. Im not sure what it was that ended our relationship but she left and I sold the car. Selling that car is the one thing that I wish I never would have done. Something in my mind told me that if I sold the car, she would stay. I was wrong. She left and drained my bank accounts at the same time... A true fresh start?

Nearly a year after her leaving I saved up enough money to buy another project. I ended up driving to North Carolina and back and picking up another RX7. Why North Carolina? Reason being is for the price I paid, I got a heck of a deal. Its a 88 FC3S RX-7 with Tein Super Drift coilovers, the same coils I had in my s13, it also has a ford 5.0 swap with T-5 trans and the full grannys swap kit. The motor has some work done to it most of which I have no idea what lol. As far as I currently know it has after market heads, cams, its chipped, headers, arp headstuds, and a whole bunch more internally probably. Here it is when I picked it up.

Upon getting her home I immediately decided I needed to figure out why it was running so poorly and that I needed to put my touch on the car for sure.

In the garage doing what I always do lol take the front end off and have a look at everything else

The engine bay was and is still a mess, I can't wait to pull the motor after the september drift event and start cleaning up the wiring harness and the engine bay itself. The interior wiring on the car is even more of a mess, heres what it looked like under the dash :evil:

At this point I started ordering parts to make it a better platform to drive around

Grip Royal Royal Knight

NRG Hub and Quick Release

Crow Harnesses

Bride LowMax Replica seats

After this it was time for its first street legal drive.. Everyone loves gas station pictures right?

It was running a little better still has vacuum leaks and whatever else going on but overall I am super happy with the way it runs and drives. Interior was together and I could drive it legally so I went to my first drift event as a driver. I learned a bunch and enjoyed the car, I just wish that I had swapped my rear tires earlier and not missed my competition run.

During the event I noticed that my rear differential was still leaking even though I had just replaced the pinion seal, and also Brandon noticed some smoke from my engine bay when I met him at the gas station to head to the event. My slave cylinder was leaking right on my exhaust and would burst into flames for just a second so we had a extinguisher ready the whole day just in case.

After this event I decided I had to do something to fix the rear suspension, the FC doesnt have a real camber adjustment stock and at the time there were very few options to fix the camber. Not a week later Drew decided to take me in a PBM thread stating that the camber links, toe arms, and Camber arm would be coming out. I ordered them as soon as they were put up for sale along with the solid Differential mount and bushings, and the solid subframe bushings. Heres some pictures of the rebuild of the rear suspension, As I was rebuilding I took my differential to a shop here on the westside to have them fix the leak and check over the internals.

Toe Arms Left, Camber Arm center, Camber links right

Diff bushings top, subframe bushings bottom in my freezer

It was now time to pull the rear suspension, you might want to scroll slowly because its really ugly..

First things first start to dismantle it all

Broken forward Diff mount, and rear bushings are cracked to shit

Pretty sure the factory camber link shouldnt be bent lol

Scrub the subframe clean with a red scuff pad and burn the bushings out

Then I started spraying things

Diff with installed solid mount and bushings

Subframe mounts in with diff

Complete rear end minus axles and brakes

Rear end is now reinstalled and ive been driving the car around heres a few final shots.

Drivers view

picking up food is what it mostly does lol
LaMaR- is offline   Reply With Quote