View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #5792
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
I will be tackling some rust repairs that will include welding on my car soon and I was reading this thread as motivation:
http://forum.eastwood.com/showthread...ration-project

One simple question I have is what do you guys use to cut such intricate pieces out of the body panels? What tools in particular? Is is a combination of cut off wheels and sawzall?

Also how do you find most spot welds to drill them out? Sure some are obvious on good clean metal but when rust gets in there it get's blurry. Do you just get most then chisel the rest out?
Depending what it is and what you have available. Angle Grinder and body saw are the two I use. Both I have are electric but I have air versions as well. I use sawzaw to cut larger stuff like frames, etc.

To find spot welds, use a wire wheel if it has rust. Usually you can get it down enough to see the divot in the metal where the spot weld is. If you are unable to get to a spot, drill out the ones you can see, then pull the metal up and you will notice where it is being held down. Often showing where the next spot weld is. Usually you can just see them though or wire wheel to see them. I have a sharp hardened chisel set I use for small stuff like if you drilled to the side a little or something similar, then the chisels come out.

Also, if you are going to drill spot welds to weld later, I would recommend getting a thing of copper as if you are new to it, you may drill through and need to weld the hole. A ton easier and better with copper on the backing. The welds usually dont stick to copper and so filling holes is easier instead of doing multiple tacks to build a dome.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote