Thread: Suspension FAQ
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #57
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
I know all too well that lowering your car effects many geometries of your suspension. Im having trouble pinpointing my latest problem and have been hesitant to take it back to the rack because no one in town is able to give me a rear caster reading.

Anyways I had the car alined, their printer did not work at the time so its difficult for me to remember the settings exactly. I know I had massive 3.7* of camber in the rear and slight toe in. I wanted that set to 0 but the alinment guy insisted....

Anyways that was a fine setup and I was happy with how it felt but the tires were wearing too quickly and un even drifting so I got the fenders pulled so I could take camber out of them. I still ended up with way too much fender gap so i "just had to" go lower in the rear in order to make it look right. Now when cornering hard I hear the rears squeal. I also noticed under hard power in strait lines the rear feels unstable and like it is wanting to walk on me. I dont know the camber settings Im using now but it is much less than the 3.7 and I would guess somewhere around 2 or slightly more.
I would almost describe the walking like a form of bump steer but its not just present during bumps, although it is very present with bumps.
The think that finially got to me was when it was raining the other day I got trapped out in the rain (I rarely ever drive the car in the rain) and I could not go over 40 mph without it feeling like it was about to spin out! This is rediculas and Im wondering what effects on toe I could have changed lowering it that .75-1" or if adjusting the camber arms could have effected something else.

I know Im probably going to end up having to get it on the rack but If I have something to look for at first I may be able to adjust the componets evenly myself and not have to go to the rack. I know everything is even, the alinment was all done evenly, and my adjustment after the alinment were done by my very carefully to be even.

The caster arms (traction arms) were made to be stock leingth when I installed them and have not been adjusted at all due to the alinment shop not being able to get a rear caster reading.

Im not mega slammed although its pretty low. It is about as low as people normally go with the exception of the people that really put them on the ground for no reason. Also tire wear is no biggy for me since I get tires for free and they are always good high performance tires. I would also like to note that the car still feels great drifting, just horrible on the streets and impossible to drive in the rain. Nothing is loose either.

I hope I was descriptive enough for someone to be able to help, but not winded enough for no one to listen. Thanks
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote