View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #13
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Also, before anyone suggests it, I tried making a tool like this to extract the inner part of the bushing (rubber part).

I used a pipe that was bigger than the outside diameter of the bushing hole.....then a piece of 1/2" thick steel over that....A bolt throught that.....then on the other side, a huge flat washer and a bunch of smaller washers and then a nut.

As you tighten it, the side with the "pipe" cannot get closer to the bushing, because the pipe/steel keep the head of the bolt fixed in it's location......so as you tighten it, it draws in the other side and "pulls" the bushing in through the inside of the pipe.

I did this, and it finally starting getting INSANELY hard to tighten (my guess was 175-200 ft-lbs).

...and then BOOM, the bolt just snapped. Like snapped due to tensile failure! Literally, in the middle of the bolt, no where near the head or the nut, the bolt just became two pieces.....

....and when it did, the thing recoiled and hit me in the hand......which REALLY hurt hahah.

Needless to say, those bushings are beef dog for sure.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote