View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #103
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
This is just me, but people who are mentally unstable shouldn't be able to own guns.
Or drive cars, right? I don't want anyone bipolar or on medication for depression behind the wheel. I would argue that anyone you feel shouldn't own a gun because of mental state should also not own a car or have a drivers license. People that drive 40mph in the fast lane or drive 6 feet from my bumper when I am going 70mph scare the shit out of me...

Quote:
Exactly. Adam never bought a gun but look what he did. Like I said, there is no way to control that unless they do a mental health check for immediate family members too.
So now if someone has a brother who is retarded or 'unstable' they will also not be allowed to own a gun? Not sure what you are getting at. The only way I think I could agree with you is to increase penalties for those who indirectly supply a firearm to someone who commits a crime with it. Pending the fact that the firearm was not stored in a safe or something (if the dude drilled a lock to the safe to gain access... well, I don't know what you are supposed to do about that).

Quote:
Who said anything about being committed? They just wouldn't be able to own a gun. If you're mentally unstable and you want a gun too bad. Adam Lanza was mentally unstable and look what happened. So were the majority of the other shooters in the other incidents. Did you see the video the shooter posted from Virginia Tech? What about that father and son picking people off in DC?
This approach of mental stability is a foolish way to solve anything. In statistics you would get an F because you are chasing the outliers while leaving the vast majority of the cases untouched. You want to lower gun violence, tackle the big situation first, example: gang violence. End of discussion. And until a politician actually says that, I will know they remain ignorant, stupid, or are chasing some other agenda.