Thread: V8 240sx FAQ
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #50
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
This is what I found from my preliminary research. Please correct me if I have something wrong.

So far for me the best engine is the LS1 from the late model Camaro/Firebird Fbody. It will keep the car street legal and allow you to keep some of the emissions stuff. How much I don't know since I need to dig more into it.

You can get good, usable drivetrains for under $5k. What I was going to do is just get a shortblock and have a shop do a mild rebuild for reliability. From what I found, the bottom end is pretty solid if all you want is 300 bhp. Maybe get some goodies from ARP to reinforce it a little more, and definitely a better oil system (dry sump of some sort) for roadracing.

I figure mid teens for the Hinson kit. I'm going to go ahead and allow some more budget for some final installation and fabrication if necessary.

The only thing I don't know about is the driveshaft and rear end, but I'm sure I'll figure it out once I get in touch with the folks at Hinsons.

So right now I'm looking at a conservative estimate of about low teens for a turnkey setup. This will allow me to attend a full season of roadracing without a rebuild (I hope), and I'm hoping it will be easier to find parts to feed the motor.

At least I can sell my SR to help fund some of it. Bye bye turbo. Hello V8
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote