View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Jissan is an unknown quantity at this point
Party at my place. Bring your wire crimpers.

And beer.

Most time consuming part of the swap, without a doubt. I don't know what's worse: cutting and modifying an existing harness, or starting from scratch! Anyhow, backtracking...

Made up a bracket to hold the ABS manifold. Swapped over sensors and cool pedals Z33 => S13.

Mounting column controls on MUCH smaller S13 bracket. Didn't fit initially so I had to chop up the 90° wiring harness plugs and make them 180° plugs.

Steering wheel to controls reach is pretty good. Better than stock controls with the removable wheel. Z33 ignition cylinder mounts below the column as opposed to the S13; above. Not sure if I'm going to modify the cylinder or fiberglass the plastic column cover to cover the old hole and make a new one. Regardless, that's way off. I ain't got time for that. I dunno how the hell that cluster is going to mount in my dashboard tho. Gotta think a bit on that one.

Mounted the pedals, clutch cylinder, and BMC, then adjusted for pedal reach. Mounted column back into the car with the controls on and started throwing in the wiring.

I decided that since space close to the firewall is a a premium that I was going to send the chassis harness through the inside of the car. This turned out to be a shitload of adjustment, relooming of the harness, shuffling of grounds. Going to make a removable panel on the passenger side of the dashboard to get to the fuses. Ignore the wacky Dynamat placement on the floor. Beer happens.

Progress.

Dealing with more hassle since my battery is in the trunk. Good because of space needed for my dual intakes, bad because of wiring. 350Z peeps don't really move their battery to the hatch for several reasons:
  • Battery has it's own damn house behind the passenger-side wheel.
  • There's a one-peice five-fuse block that mounts to the positive pole of the battery with six wires coming off of it. Nobody wants to run 6 wires from the hatch or get a five fuse block to distribute power once you get to the bay.
  • Z hatch is already pretty damn small.

Ended up grabbing a distro block off Amazon and am now able to replace that fuse block with a decent solution and it also has six regular fuse holders for the extra crap I'm gonna need to wire in, such as the sunroof... which is open btw... shit.

Odd & end shots follow of the power steering res, cleaned up hood release ( which will probably be replaced by aerocatch latches ), ABS manifold mounted with custom lines being run, steering clearance after clocking the rack.

Custom driveshaft ordered from Driveshaft Shop... bunch more crap done. Hustling to make my custom brake lines to all four wheels and finish the wiring integration. Iffy bits include fuel pump wiring and I still have to figure out what to do about the headers touching the firewall.

Enough whining, back to it!
Jissan is offline   Reply With Quote