View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
SR20 Head Gasket Selection (NEW Timing Question)

So I have been reading threads and other resources all over the web for a couple of weeks about head gasket installation on the SR20DET, and I think I am finally ready to give it a shot. The engine is on the stand and I will be removing the head this weekend.

I need to order a head gasket and studs, but I am sort of lost with all of the choices out there. I have heard good things about the Apexi head gasket, as well as Cometic- which makes me a little nervous just because of the price difference. I am not sure which brand and specs to choose for my application. Some of this info might not be relevant, but this is what my setup will be when everything is reassembled:

1993 S13 SR20DET Blacktop
Stock bottom end
__________ head gasket
ARP head studs
Stock valve train (If anything, Tomei Poncams with stock cam gears)
Tomei rocker arm stoppers
GT28R (s15) BB turbo
Dif turbo lines
HKS actuator
Tomei turbo manifold
GReddy suction kit
Z32 MAF
Deatschwerks 650cc injectors
Z32 fuel filter
GReddy intake manifold
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Apexi Power FC

I don't know how much of that info is relevant, but I thought I would post it just in case. I am planning to run a pretty mild/safe/streetable setup, and am not looking for crazy high power/boost numbers. I have purchased an oem oil pump/front cover, s14 oil strainer/pickup, and a GReddy oil pan- so I thought that while the motor is pretty much completely torn apart, I would replace the head gasket and studs. It sounds like this needs to be done if the oil pump is replaced to prevent breaking the front seal on the head gasket. I plan to replace the timing belt setup as well during this process.

Cliff Notes:

1. I'm looking for advice on which head gasket/specs to choose for my setup.

2. Can the head be decked while it is assembled? (with the cams removed)

I want to remove/ take apart as little as possible- get in there, replace the timing chain/head gasket/studs, and get out. I have never touched the inside of a motor before, so the less I have to mess with/potentially screw up- the better.

Thanks for any input/advice you guys may have!

Damon

CamryOnBronze.com

Last edited by CamryOnBronze; 03-20-2010 at 09:51 PM..
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links