View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #70
dr_
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
dr_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
But suffer the same issues as any old Nissan engine, if it's not a VR38 nothing is in stock.

The SR for example has no VVL cams and very few det available at the moment OEM or aftermarket, Manley is backordered on rods, virgin cores are borderline impossible to source, rockers come in sets of 2 every couple of weeks from Nissan, I could go on and on as a guy who spends 40 hours a week advising builds and helping customers source parts I can confidently say that building a 80-90's Nissan engine is one of the biggest headaches you could currently ask for, hence why I'd move on to a Toyota or GM platform as they have a much larger aftermarket with more competing businesses influencing production.
Does Nissan attempt to keep up with the demand for parts for the SR20 due to hordes of drifters and other builders beating them down? Or do they just treat it any other platform in regards to production of parts vs. number of motors produced? I could only imagine the demand for SR parts is 100 fold vs. VG parts. Not to mention the VG's abysmal aftermarket compared to the SR.

Anyways, this is where GM will always dominate the swap debate. Half of Americans live within several miles of a store that stocks enough LS galore. Very convenient.
dr_ is offline   Reply With Quote