Thread: My SR20VET...
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #619
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Put the setup back in the car just to verify clearances. Everything looks great. I?ll be tearing it all down and sending out for thermal coating. I haven?t decide what type to get yet. The stuff that was on my Peak Boost setup worked well and the finish stayed flawless for the lifetime I ran it (10yrs). I have looked at Swaintech, HPC, Cerakote and various other ?ceramic or thermal? coatings. If you have any experience with a particular product, chime in, I?d like to hear your results and reviews.
Proper fab work good sir. I've installed and tested several Swaintech coated parts over the years. The thermal reduction is quite significant and they all lasted besides one very hard-use cast iron exhaust manifold on a 4G63, which did have a small section at the collector where the coating "popped off". According to swaintech there is still coating left on the material when this happens and it doesn't degrade the performance much.

I do however, like to make sure stainless parts have been through a few heat cycles before I send them off just to make sure anything that's going to shift or tweak has already done so. While I haven't taken thermal gun readings, it does appear to be quite a bit more effective in the "accidentally touch the header and not nuke all my skin off" or the "tighten those turbo bolts because somebody forgot and we just did a dyno run" tests vs the stuff full race uses (I think it's cerakote?).

Also, I have a friend who now owns Headershield (https://headershield.com/), and I've been impressed with that product as well. Obviously not a coating but seems very effective in it's own right. My friends longtube 6-2-1 turbo manifolds on his Z31 are wrapped in it and the engine bay heat is down even compared to when they were wrapped with traditional wrap.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote