View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
s13 The "I'm 18 and make grown up financial mistakes" s13 build

So I'll give you all a brief "hello and intro" to my car and I,

My name is Hanz, and I'm from the wonderful state of Florida where drugs are smuggled and old people come to die, always seemed to be a weird combo to me, anyways! I got my s13 after a 2 year journey in 2014 and since then have personally gone through 2 SR's and plenty of other costly experiences, however, I wouldn't have it any other way, I love my car and it hates me<3

on to the cool stuff! This is my 240sx. It's an 89 SOHC car that I purchased from my neighbor with a blown up SR in the hatch

Day I got it,
[IMG][/IMG]

When it was running last,
[IMG][/IMG]

And what it looks like today, (quite sad)
[IMG][/IMG]

So to make some very long sad stories short, I rebuilt the SR the first time around and it lasted all of 30 minutes and had a tasty rod knock. I didnt double check my machine work and it was a hard lesson learned, then I rebuilt the motor the second time around and went all out, I used ACL race bearings, hot tanked everything, and spent too much money at a machine shop and the result was a healthy SR that i thrashed daily and lasted almost a year until I was racing a new SS camaro on my way home the mall. We took off from a traffic light and I was about 2 cars out in the top of 4th gear, then BANG, and then that instant oh shit moment, followed by .

This was the sad result, after waiting 2 hours in the middle of the road in the Florida heat,
[IMG][/IMG]

But the tow truck driver actually ended up knowing all about 240's and even had plenty of his own trauma stories about his own, so that was a plus!

Anyways the car sat in my driveway for a month or two, then in my back yard for a few days, and then I finally grew a pair and decided to fix my baby. I pulled it in front of my shop and started stripping it down to pull the motor, my friend Tucker stopped by to help speed the process along and provide some helpful hands ( most of my friends are pretty usless car-wise, however, Tucker owns 2 S13's one LS1 sil80, and a rad SR hatch) anyways here's the few pics I snapped along the way,
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

And now the sad ones haha,
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Well I had known that I had a rod go through my block, but I didn't know why, I knew I was making mid 300's so a snapped rod wasn't too crazy of an idea, but I also had a theory that it simply oil starved, sadly the latter was indeed the issue. I was stupidly running a stock pan and pick up on a lowered car and payed the price for it. After tearing down the block I found that my pick up hadn't broken off, but it definitely had kissed the pan a few times leaving some marks. This plus the heavy acceleration from racing the camaro was a ticking time bomb literally haha.

I don't have any tear down pictures, but the motor was filled with bearing and rod, I have already purchased a new block, trans, starter (mine had a rod in it), lightweight flywheel (ACT I believe), new bearings (rods & mains), crank, and some power steering pieces, all for $100! My neighbor who sold me my car is pretty desperate to get rid of his SR parts to fund his WRX haha.

So as the car sits now, is motorless, waiting on the machine shop to call and ask me to bring my piggy bank, and I've been doing some various odds and ends that I should've done the first few builds.

Pictures of this weeks work,

I made a floor to cover my old spare well so it looked more "finished". Still needs carpet and a newer smaller sub box, and yes I have the side covers and they do cover the edges of the wood.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Today I had the urge to actually attempt to properly tuck my harness and re wrap my harness as well.

Stripping the harness
[IMG][/IMG]

New fusebox locations
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The wires I removed, basically anything I've never plugged in or seen a use for
[IMG][/IMG]

Where the fusebox wires "tuck" at, they will be wrapped and waterproofed of course, and yes in this location the fender still bolts on no problem. I'm also going to trace "useless" wires back to their source and depin them.
[IMG][/IMG]

And finally the finished mess of 25 year old tape and plastic
[IMG][/IMG]

And how she sat at the end of the night

That's all for this long and first post! I hope you guys enjoyed a peek into my story and if you have any questions please ask! I do have all the old pictures of when I first got the car and some of the "major" mods.
hanzbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links