View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #18
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNskY View Post
1) intake side the guide (grooved shim) goes in front, exhaust side it goes rear. or it could be visa versa, i dont remember 100%. also every single one needs to go back exactly where it came from as other have already said, or youre going to need to measure them (which is a PITA). get an FSM.

2) crank needs to be TDC on #1. 2nd dot from the left on the pulley.

3) you can spin the crank with the cams out as all the valves will be closed. since youve already done this, youre not going to be able to use the marks on the chain for timing as youll never know when the gold link is on the crank dot. check out enthalpy's website for timing instructions without the marks. with cams in if youre not 100% sure that the timing is right dont spin it. sr's are interference. you will bend valves.
Thanks for the response!

1. I have the FSM, so I'll have to look that up. I didn't have it with me last night when I made this post- thanks for the heads up! All of the rockers/washers were bagged up and labeled specifically to where they were removed from, so I should be all set in that department.

2. Correct. We did have the crank pulley at the second notch (TDC) and all of the silver/gold links lined up when we removed the head. This was checked several times to be sure the motor was at TDC.

3. Before the front cover was reinstalled, the timing chain was installed with the gold link lined up with the crank dot. So, right now, I know that the gold dot at the bottom is lined up with the mark on the crank sprocket. If I know that, and I know that the motor/crank pulley were at top dead center when we pulled the head, is it ok to turn the crank pulley an inch so that it is lined up with the second notch again, assuming the cams are not installed (so the valves will not move at all?)

The fact that it is an interference motor is why I am concerned for sure. I just want to know the correct way to proceed so that I don't mess anything up/cause any issues when it is all reassembled.

Cliff Notes:
-Engine was at TDC (second notch on crank pulley with all 3 chain links lined up) when the head was removed.

-Head was decked and reinstalled. New timing chain was installed with gold link lined up with mark on crank sprocket.

-When crank pulley was reinstalled, it was observed that it was off by an inch from TDC. It must have been turned at some point while the head was off.

If it helps at all, here is a picture of the block after the head was removed:

And here is the head/valves before it was reinstalled:

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote