View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #13
Speed Junkie
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Speed Junkie is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
Since my very simple post didn't explain and you weren't happy with it, let me explain. I figured you did enough research to even be remotely be interested in this topic so I thought you'd understand with my previous post. Which still is very important on why I posted it.
1) "Linear and progressive spring rates are what you are looking for" is completely irrelevant to my original post because:

2) Calling linear rate springs "progressive" as an attempt to describe spring rate delineation (undesirable) from the advertised spring rate is a misuse of the word in the context of this discussion. Especially when "progressive springs" are actually a thing. It seems like tacotacotaco also misunderstood your comment as he posted examples of actual linear rate springs and progressive springs.

In other words, I know exactly what progressive springs are but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you do as well. Despite your misuse of the word in the context of swift springs being used on coilovers for 240SXs which completely excludes the use of progressive springs.

Quote:
The said no-name brand generic springs claim to be linear, but in fact they are not linear which give them the bouncy ride...
Big no. Spring rate delineation is not the primary cause of a "bouncy ride". The damper is the primary device that controls spring oscillations. A bouncy car, whether bouncy at lower frequencies (softer springs) or bouncy at higher frequencies (harder springs) is usually underdampened or poorly dampened (linear valving instead of digressive with sufficient rebound dampening).

Even a Swift spring will oscilate excessively if not properly dampened.

Quote:
*attempts to explain what has already been discussed either in this thread or on linked threads.*
Did you read everything that was posted before you?

Quote:
The "advertised/generic" linear spring will changes it's rates very drastically with every millimeter of compression, making them a progressive spring.
Again, this doesn't make them into progressive springs which deliberately increase spring rate with stroke. This makes them into bad springs.

Quote:
Generic springs being progressive isn't necessarily a bad thing either, *continues to blur the line between actual progressive springs and bad springs.*
Quote:
*Attempts to explain the benefits of suspension travel no better than someone who for the first time was taught the benefits of suspension travel.*
Again, did you actually read anything that was said before you commented? more usable travel out of the spring was already stated as a benefit. Not sure who youre trying to prove wrong on this. It's also safe to assume that the majority of the members here have cars lowered to the point that their main issues with travel is with tires hitting the frame of the car, not with the usable spring stroke. That includes myself. My car isn't even "that low" in 240/zilvia standards, AND I've set up my coilovers to hit the bump stops just short of the tire (wheels straight) contacting the frame as you should, but despite that I run out of wheel travel long before spring travel.

It's a practical limitation of my choice to have my car look half decent at a somewhat low height. Maybe if I wanted to raise it to scca autocross spec then I would have to worry about spring travel. But I'm not because I didnt get a 240 as an ideal autocross car.

Quote:
Swift springs are considered gold standard along with Eibach due to their materials used and manufacturing process ensuring their products act as they are promised.
More catalog fun facts that have already been mentioned. I came here for technical information/conversation (that was my first mistake lol) and not sideline bleacher salesmen.

Quote:
Also, now that I've told you the benefits of Swift/Eibach, what is your intention with this information? Are you actually going to buy said brands?
For the record, I have gen. 6 FA 500 coilovers. 8kg F and 6kg R. And again, you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know nor have you provided any actual personal driving experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Sounds to me like he is trying to justify using the cheaper springs to himself.
I had Ohlins PCVs in my old Miata and have driven a wide variety of cars and suspension combinations including ADAC spec E90 on race valved Ohlins DFVs, a Swift on off the shelf DFVs, and plenty of Japanese platforms on Japanese coilovers. So I'm hardly limited in what I've actually driven. So for someone to try to catalog bullet point convince me of why I need springs on my half decent coilovers (in the 240 world) will at least make me raise an eye brow.

Quote:
We still need to talk about actual spring rates and how they should be calculated to be used on a car based on ride height, weight and desired suspension travel.
Lol I'm good. Thanks though.

Last edited by Speed Junkie; 01-10-2019 at 01:45 PM..
Speed Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote