View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #83
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Nice seeing the updates brother! Keep em coming!

However guys, something really needs to be addressed below. I can understand the positives and negatives being presented here, but there some glaringly obvious things that no one is addressing to those in the VE camp here. I do not think your comments are wrong STR8E, but there needs to be a more objective look at the situation on your end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8E180 View Post
What's a btcc cylinder head got ?
No VVL, it doesn't even have VTC, no shaft mounted rocker arms, ports are clearly smaller
It's not hard to work out which is the better cylinder head
The valve train is generally more failsafe on the VVL setup, but in normal operation (ie: not misshifting, or over revvin) it (to me) isn't clear cut to work any better nor worse than the standard style head. Think of how many dopey owners drove SE-R's/NX's/ throughout the 10 years+ they were offered here, without issue (with many of them going 150K miles+!!)

Sure the shaft mount/roller setup is nice, but that system also came in COMMUTER type cars. Not race cars. So while the system in general is more robust (one can't deny the shaft mounted sytem), it will not stand heavy RPM abuse with a spring change. With that said there are many guys who ran DE heads to huge RPM for years without any issues too. Maybe not 13,000 rpm like you say some do, but those heads are far from stock as well, and IMO a bit unfair to compare them directly, especially to a head that has different guides and lifters undoubtedly as well (roller rocker engines having better lifters as it is).

Atop of that, I'm not sure how anyone can generally just say which head is better without seeing flow bench numbers on the two heads. And even with that said, a flow bench doesn't automatically mean it makes more power either, just that it can move more air. Bigger isn't better.

Quote:
Scorch s15 very impressive time attack circuit car which holds the record at 52 seconds around Tsukuba circuit track in Japan
Now take into account this rear wheel drive car is faster then 4 wheel drive cars
Do you think the head makes the difference here, or the 700+whp that it is claimed to make? I'd find it hard to beleive that where that car makes power/powerband, that it's any different than a DE head at that point.

Quote:
All these cars run sr20's and what do they have In common they all use ve heads
Its the most responsive cylinder head due to its VVL and massive ports
Ever think that they all use VE heads as they are more common and cheaper than a head only produced 34 times? I mean the pricepoint here has a TON of 'play' sort to speak here. If I was running a heavy duty drag car, I'd want something I can easily find a spare/replacement for, of which, a BTCC head is not.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote