Thread: V8 240sx FAQ
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #179
IDriveFords
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
IDriveFords is a well-known jackass
Ford cobra motor

I know for a fact that the block in the 97-98' Mustang Cobras was an all aluminum block because I own one. It's a 4.6 liter modular motor and its insanely easy to work on. Not sure the cost of just the motor (mines still in my car). It's got a T-45 5speed tranny thats not very large. It looks like you could easily stuff that motor and tranny into a 240. I need to check the weight of the motor but I know its not very heavy becuz its an all alum block. My Cobra made 278hp and 278tq sitting at stock but this is not typical (mine is a factory freak). I personally wouldn't be able to afford this swap but it would be very interesting to see. This motor is very very popular amongst mustang owners because it is one of the best designed NA motors ever as far as reliability, workability, and mods are concerned. The 2005 Falken drift mustang actually has this motor in place of the stock 5.0 motor due to weight issues. This motor also seems to respond nicely to boost. I read an article about a twin turbo 97' cobra that was pushing upwards of 900 horse with a twin turbo setup and a nice buildup. I'm pretty sure you can order this motor through Ford racing, but I'm not sure of price. I know they do make a 5.0 liter "cammer" thats a 450 horse N/A motor and that one runs about 10g's. Another considerable swap would be the 03-04' Cobra motors but these are a bit bulkier and would probably throw off the weight dist. Just a thought. If anyone has the exact weight of the 97'-98' 4.6 liter cobra motors please chime in.
IDriveFords is offline   Reply With Quote