View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 12:29 AM   #100
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by white92_s13 View Post

MY idea.....?
take a stock knuckle off. take a pre measured chunck out. not much. and then heat it with a torch and weld it back together. shortening the knuckle with increase the leverage and gain more angle?
Yeah, that should work, just be careful welding on cast iron, it's hard to get good penetration! Also, make sure the tie rod holes stay in the same position in relation to the knuckle, just moved in closer. This will keep your steer feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
This is a great graphic! I remember reading this series in SCC back before the mag went to shit.
This also explains why I have seen some of these super low cars running retarded front camber. That would also get the angle below 90.
I like changing the pick-up points better, but to each is own. Please keep filling this thread with great info.
One thing that I keep thinking about is with suspention set-ups as stiff as have been discussed earlier what kind of compession travel are we talking about?
Hmmm...I would say about 4 inches, give or take a few? Most coilovers run 8/6, and cars roll very little with these and even stock anti-roll bars. Heck, most coilovers don't have more than 4-6inches of shock travel anyway.

I know with my 10/8 there was pretty much zero roll, and with my 12/10 there was absolutely no roll. But then again, this was with less-than-grippy tires.

Maybe the grip guys running slicks can comment on body roll a little more.

But anyway, part of the reason you run a stiff suspension is to reduce camber and toe change with body roll. So with a corrected roll center, this should allow you to run just a little less static camber. I guess it depends on how your strut is angled and how low your car is. Those guys running extended front lower brackets on their coilovers are actually at a disadvantage there; they make the angle greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPDRFT View Post
I stumbled upon this. They make knuckles that look like the Driftworks ones. Flame away.
Taiwan? Making a knock-off?!?! What?!?!? Hahahaha.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote