View Single Post
Old 06-15-2023, 07:10 PM   #90
StorminMatt

Trader Rating: (0)
StorminMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Jan View Post
While you have a good point from an outright performance per dollar point of view, I think it's fair to say that from that perspective owning an S-chassis is not a reasonable thing anymore to begin with. There's much better chassis out there for considerably less money, and some of them already come with a V8.

With the value of these cars soaring and now reaching collector status, it makes sense to me that people want to build their cars true to the original formula.
Everybody is certainly entitled to their opinion when it comes to this sort of thing. In my case, my brother bought this S13 back in 2000, and I got it from him back in 2010. In other words, it’s not like I’m trying to ACQUIRE a good S13 at today’s market prices for the sake of doing an LS swap. I already have the car, and have had it since well before most anyone considered it anything that special. Should I just restore it to factory condition because that’s what someone else thinks is the right thing to do? I see little point. Dropping an LS3 into the car just has that sense of fun like a crazy science experiment. And the result is going to be a car that performs unlike any 4000+ pound whale of a Mustang, Camaro, or Charger that already comes with a V8.

So I say if you want a V8, GO FOR IT! Project cars are not about doing what is supposedly ‘right’, ‘good’, or ‘proper’. Because all that stuff is boring anyway. Oh, and let’s not forget that, even if you go for something ‘appropriate’ like an SR swap, you’re altering your car. Although the engine DID come in the S chassis, it didn’t come in YOUR car. You are still changing the ‘original formula’ and possibly reducing the value compared to something 100% original.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote