View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #29
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
i asked this in another thread and wasn't really satisfied by the one answer i received. since there is intelligent discussion going on here i'll ask you guys.

when doing head work, if you only replace the springs and retainers do you need to re-shim everything or will the stock shims still suffice?

i.e. replacing stock springs and retainers with BC springs and retainers
No, having a stiffer spring or thicker retainer will not effect where the top of the valves are when they are closed, so no re-shimming is necessary at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman100 View Post
stock shims are fine. bleed the HLAs and they'll make up the difference.

There is no "make up the difference". Unless you change valves or change cams, the top of the valvestem is still physically in the same place when it is fully open or fully closed, regardless of how stiff the springs are or what retainers you are using, since the shims sit right on the top of the valve stem.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote