View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #9
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I was right that it needed to be dealt with. It just so happens that the head gasket "takes care of it". That doesn't make what I said wrong.
?Dealt with implies you have to resolve an issue. It?s not an issue that has to be dealt with.?

next, how do you know the head gasket takes care of it? Was the head gasket designed to "take care of the hole" Or does it just block the hole by coincidence?
?Again, the head gasket seals that port. I.e. the gasket encompasses that feed port.?

What makes you so sure that it will seal up properly against 60psi or 80psi? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen
?Because my block has seen well over 120psi without this port ?dealt? with. The head gasket seals it to a blank spot on my VE head.?

In majority of cases where some oil feed high pressure hole is needing to be blocked off, there is some kind of set screw involved, or permanent, reliable solution.

If the head gasket was never designed with the blocking of a specific oil passage in mind it may leak over time.
Be careful, do research, don't make assumptions. Is all I am saying
"people do it all the time" isn't good enough. Does the head gasket manufacturer say that their gasket can be used like that?
?A head gasket seals far higher pressures from the combustion chamber. Many do not have a folded layer or fire ring. Are you ok??
With the highlights out of the way. Do I agree that relying on the head gasket as a sole source of sealing that port? No. However, I have had zero issues with it over the past 7years.