View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #17
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Silv1401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I?d agree with most of the items in this thread aside from copper plugs, that is old school tech and isn?t really needed in modern motors(not that the SR is super modern). I run Iridiums in my 500whp SR.
Copper may be old school, but it is not even a debate in terms of performance. Copper is way more electrically conductive than iridium and platinum, and it is also much better at dispersing heat. Iridium and platinum are much easier to overheat compared to copper. The trade off is that copper wears down relatively quick, whereas iridium will last longer but with less efficiency, and platinum will last the longest with the worst efficiency.

All late model production cars use iridium plugs from the factory because they have the best balance of performance vs durability, until you get to high performance cars, some of which still ship out with coppers. Professional racecars on the other hand typically also use copper?even F1 still uses copper plugs last I heard.

So iridium works fine, but copper works better. Regardless, the differences are nominal, until you start driving lap after lap in the high rpm range.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Silv1401 is offline   Reply With Quote