View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu92 View Post
The reason I like the CX kit is for the completeness of it all, it includes everything from oil lines to a full intercooler kit. I also like it for it being a top mount setup (yes I know, I'm a ricer) and that its externally gated (again, I know). I am not experienced in the realm of boosting a factory NA car, which is what makes me nervous about putting a kit together from scratch. I've got plenty of mechanic experience just as it is, I'm just afraid I'll end up buying a bunch of stuff that is not compatible with each other.

I've got no problems with buying used parts for it and shopping around for some of them, I just don't really know what parts made by what manufacturer to buy. I just would really like to stay in the $1500 - $1700 realm for the turbo setup itself, obviously will be spending more on accessories and supporting mods.

The CX kit is definitely not the best on the market, and is honestly kind of scary because of the damage that cheap parts can cause, I just lack the knowledge to actually put together a quality kit efficiently.

On the subject of injectors, why do you not like DW? I've really only heard good things about them, shed some knowledge on me. I figured 740s would be a better route to go because of the future hopes of more power and not wanting to buy another set ideally.

My goal for the car is kind of an OEM+ kind of thing. I just want a very nice street car that can keep up with my friends. I really don't plan on taking it to the track or anything like that, just mainly to keep the car nice. I also do a lot of highway driving because of where I live so a new gearset isn't really an option for me. I also want to be able to reach some higher speeds.

Keep in mind the CX kit is CHEAP stuff. I'll give props to however designed the kit since the turbo placement is excellent and it seems to be well thought out overall. The main issue is the quality control is extremely lacking. I'm old and have a white collar job now, but I paid for college by working in performance shops and over half the eBay/CX racing kits we installed required a lot of modification to fit correctly even though they are advertised as "bolt on". If you are truly mechanically inclined it shouldn't be hard to figure out what's needed to build a turbo setup for an NA car, especially for a common engine like a KA. You really do get what you pay for, and the CX kit would be well north of 3k if it had decent components. Your engine probably won't be killed by the failure of any of the components in the kit (except for the wastegate) but expect to spend just as much replacing or modifying broken or ill-fitting parts as you would have if you bought quality parts from the start.

As for DW injectors their quality control is... to put it nicely... lacking. A lot of their products are fine, but too many of them aren't for what you pay. I've personally lost an engine due to their parts failing and would rather spend a bit more on other brands that don't have the same issues. If you do some research, you'll find that I'm not alone.

Also keep in mind that a rom tune will only get you in ballpark of where you want to be. Its unlikely that you will safely hit more than 300 hp on the T3/T4 hybrid setup with the CX kit without a custom tune. I stuck to top mount options in my previous post since that seems to be what you're geared toward, but as others have said a Tomei manifold/T28 setup seems to match your goals the best. Keep in mind that a 220-260hp S-chassis makes for a VERY fun car. Big power brings a lot of extra expense/headaches that sucks the fun out of things.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote