View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Ah the old coil pack bolt broken deal

You learn the hard way I guess. I saw a friend do it on his sr20 long before I ever owned an sr20, so I already knew in advance. The coilpacks dont need to be very tight; Just barely snug is fine.

Its better to have it comes loose and start misfiring then be so tight it snaps off in the cover.

All ya gotta do is slap the coilpack down and its fine again right?

half the sr20 I tune now don't even use the bolts anymore because the owners have switched to some other coilpack version which doesn't even use them.

Also there are "coil pack covers" you know the plastic thing that came with the motor, that will really help hold down the coil packs if you dont want to use the bolts. What I've seen some friends do is they put a metal (custom) cover on the engine and it takes up the space between the coilpack and cover so the coils cant come up.

Its such a small problem but the main idea here is that the bolts dont need to be tight at all.

Other bolts you dont want to overtighten or it breaks something:
1. radiator/hose clamps
2. nearly every 10mm bolt
3. front cover (oil pump) bolts I seen them snap an ear off
4. add your favorite...
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote