View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #7
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Well it's Monday and I'm bored at work again so update time!

So we left off having just assembled the short block and almost completed the head. Now it's time to slap those two chunks of overpriced nonsense together and call it an engine. Assembling the long block was quite uneventful, this was the first time I actually had a second set of hands to help with everything. The most time consuming part was cleaning all of the used parts from my old block. Since everything survived a brutal engine failure I made sure to bust down all the parts like the oil pump and oil filter housing and clean them thoroughly, the last thing I wanted was for my new engine to spin a bearing on start up from me being a cheap and lazy idiot.

So with the help of my girlfriend I got the head set on the block and I started to assemble the valvetrain. *Fun Fact: on the exhaust side of the SR20det head by cylinder number 4 there is a cavity in the casting that goes about 2-3 inches straight down, and if you drop a guide in there you will spend the next 4-6 hours getting that out since you cant get a magnet down there, you may spend less time doing this if you notice this happened BEFORE you torqued your head down. After that escapade I decided to throw my T3 top mount set-up on the block for mock up and I found that I just wasn't a fan of any of it and I ultimately sold the set-up.

After I sold the T3 set-up I bought myself a stock manifold GT28 set-up with an external gate because I saw it as a much more reliable option that would also be more cost and time effective because it meant I could use a lot of off the shelf parts. In hindsight I wish I would've tack'd the housing nuts while the engine was out of the car. It's not leaking yet but I don't have much faith that'll hold on, turbos never seem to and it was a problem that I fought regularly with my old top mount set-up. It seemed like every other week or so I was buying new nuts for that.

So I believe in the next update I'll go over the chassis modifications then after that I'll post about dropping the engine in the car.