View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #3768
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Just attending some older comments in order to keep this thread going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateirving View Post
Also don't need the cams for 350 hp.
You don't *need* cams, but you can get to that power level MUCH easier than without. Less boost = less stress = happier engine. Plus 350 whp with cams offers a MUCH better powerband than 350 whp with stock cams.

[QUOTE=derass;6040910]As I mentioned in the other thread, S3's or Tomei 260s would be a better match for the 2871. The S4's push the power band even further to the right; they would be getting into their optimal power band as the 2871 is running out of steam. The S4 or Tomei 270 would be a better match for something like a 3076 and 400+whp

Having now run both extensivly, I'd suggest it in this way

S3's for a nice daily driver - great torque, a little better response, yet still power to redline

S4's for a track oriented/higher RPM setup. While they still respond well, they really have that 5000+ shine, which in my case on track is where I'm at most of the time as it is. (5000 to 8000 rpm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
As for JWT and stock springs, I know many people in this thread swear by that combination, but I know someone who was doing the same, experienced valve float and blew the motor. If the stock springs still have their original strength, then there is no problem. However, it they are weak or tired, catastrophic valve float can occur.
That's with anything on these cars though, obviously not the fault of the cam. And with that said, to find a wore out set is VERY uncommon. The stock spring seat pressure is very low, and with a relatively easy valvetrain (abuse wise) you don't come across them failing or weakning that often...but with these things, not all metal is the same, so you can't rule out anything!

One thing I am a fan of though, is using JWT springs with JWT cams, and or Tomei Springs with Tomei Cams, etc etc. Not to say you can't mix and match, but at least yo uknow with those two examples, that JWT/Tomei tested their springs with their cams, and know how they react.

With it all considered, the JWT still make a nicer powerband, but i'd take JWT or Tomei over HKS any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
From what I understand, both the Tomei and HKS are degreed well from the factory. I would not bother with adjustable sprockets. I'm sure there is some improvement to be had; but for me, the cost of tuning vs benefit is not worth it. It's the BC cams that are poorly degreed and should be avoided.
In the *ultimate* setup, where people have a way to to replicate a good lash (aka: solid lifters), then I'd agree cam gears are the ultimate way to go, albiet through testing. In the real world, the JWT/Tomei/HKS work awesome installed as OEM. Could you maybe get 5 more whp? could you maybe get 3-4 more hp average? Sure...but at what cost of dyno time and parts (for a street car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by running_sideways View Post
right on man about 5 years ago bc was what everyone wanted now its like they fell off the earth laded in a pile of sheet...thats for your guys advice! i think im going to go with the tomei and springs. think solid lifter or hydro? it sounds like a bish to get the solid lifters and set clearances...if only they had a set screw and a jam nut to adjust the clearances id be ok but them damn pills
Solid is overkill for 99% of SR20 owners

Run newer B15 Roller Rocker Lifters, run dual guides, and call it a day. 8500 rpm with aftermarket springs no worries.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote