View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #53
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead55 View Post
I second this. Ueo was my first D1 crush.

Benson (sileighty mania) and Nadine, JDM Rice, Slide Squad (esp. Dave Scholz's s30) were the dudes that first started to kill it in the US for me.

I have a picture of me that Brian (Pink Godzira) took from 2003 because I happened to be in front of him when he was taking a picture of Koguchi doing a burnout. We realized it like ten years later in a thread similar to this. It was a small scene back in the day. Drifter X, Chunky Bai, Koguchi, were all going nuts within inches of spectators. Back then they just had one K rail between the cars and the spectators. so rad.
My first exposure in person was getting to watch Team Orange at NOPI Nationals when I was in high school...and there wasn't even a k-rail. Just cones.

Funny thing was, this was when almost everyone on the East Coast was still into Hondas and they were just starting to realize what could be done with the 240SX. That in mind, Team Orange did their demos on both days, and the first morning demo on Saturday maybe had 15 or 20 people (I was one) watching because it was outside of the speedway in a parking lot. Tony Shultz was the only other driver and this was years before he got sponsored and was running in Formula D...back when his car was black on Z32 wheels.

I filmed all of this stuff on my dad's camcorder, and I've got the tapes floating around somewhere.

Screenshot from said video...proof of the low quality/old feel, haha.