View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #132
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
The GTX stuff ranges from just ok to pretty good IMO. Some of their wheels don't really put up good results for the overall response/spool IMO (GTX2867R comes to mind... the entire GTX30 lineup as well). I think most of this is using pretty old turbine technology and only being able to get so much out of a billet wheel that offers a bit more flow for a little higher RPM and slightly lower inertia of a cast wheel.

The main thing that really makes sense on the EFRs is that a twin scroll turbo setup starts to financially make sense vs. a single scroll. The IWG adds very little cost next to the cost of a full EWG manifold + 2 good external gates and fabbing dump tubes.

I still think IWGs do offer some compromises in boost control (really have to get your canister spring pressure in the right range) - but they can be worked with when they have enough flow area and canister spring pressures to chose from - which the EFRs do.

Also, to add to this

1) What about those manifold that although are TS, have the two dump tubes merge to one to negate the price of twin piping, twin gates, etc?? Do those inhibit wastegate flow or is is insignificant enough that for a majority of the setups, its a very minor issue??

2) Also, you can simply change out the canister for a proper one from Turbosmart. They are fairly inexpensive (cheaper than a full EWG) and I am not entirely certain I am sold on the plastic setup. Actually, you can purchase both metal versions of both the wastegate and BOV from turbosmart for about the price of one 44MM EWG.

I am liking the EFR stuff
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote