View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #107
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Yea, I honestly think with the expected response and 500 rwhp it'll be a pretty awesome turbo. But I know what you mean on the guys wanting to post up huge dyno numbers.

I was thinking about a GTX3071R with a TiAL housing for a long while, but honestly the spool was not looking that great on it. The GTX 71mm wheel seems to also flow more at lower wheel RPM than the old GT 71 mm wheel, so you're asking for even more torque out of the very high trim UHP 60 mm wheel - which it doesn't seem all that great at producing.

I was kinda disappointed at the prospect once you add up all of the items needed $$$ wise, and even though I still think IWGs offer some compromises vs. a good external setup, I think on a twin scroll the cost and difficulty kills going that way with a GTX. And the TiAL housing added quite a bit of expense on top of the kinda pricey GTX.

I even considered the EFR6758, but it's probably more comfortable at 400-420 rwhp range, and any more is really pushing it(yes it can do it, but it's running off the map and IATs and backpressure at shooting up). I'm willing to accept a little more inertia and slightly higher spool RPM to get some more headroom above there. So the 7163 fits the bill perfectly.

No surprises on BW slowly rolling stuff out, but hopefully the wait isn't as long as it was for the first roll out of EFRs.