View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
ianmyers
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
ianmyers is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
It sounds like you got a defective pump. What brand is it and where did you get it? Also check and make sure none of the wiring to the fuel pump got damaged and isn't shorting. As for the idle, the engine is supposed to idle higher cold than it does when it's warm, that's normal. Although yout claimed cold idle numbers are a bit high, and your claimed hot idle numbers are a bit low. Typically it should idle cold at about 1000rpm and hot at about 750rpm. I would clean the throttlebody. Clean the idle valves at the back of the intake plentum. And clean the connections for the MAF sensor and coolant temp sensor.

Realistically it seems that you have no clue how to diagnose any issues or possibly even what it means to diagnose an issue. Did you check the fuel pressure before you threw a fuel pump at it? You need to know WHY it would die on you occasionally. You didn't bother to figure that out and now it's screwed up in a different way. I would advise you to find someone in your area who CAN diagnose it and try to learn what you can as he does it.
Thanks for the input. I could obviously write more about what I did to diagnose the issue but I'm not trying to write a novel for each post on zilvia. When I replaced the fuel pump the start-up idle/warm idle were exactly where you said they should be, 1000 cold and 750 warm. I do realize that the car idles high to warm up and then lower once it has had a chance to warm up. I guess I just wasn't clear about that in my OP. My fault.

I based my diagnosis off of what I've read on here and a friend of mine who had the exact same issue. I brought up the ECU because his problem turned out to be a faulty ECU, which he replaced. I didn't check the fuel pressure before I replaced it which obviously wasn't a good idea based on what you're saying. I replaced it based on the fact that it would only prime 50% of the time, unless it hit it. After hitting it, the fuel pump would work as if it were new. THIS is why I replaced the pump. Now, I realize this probably isn't the best way to diagnose the issue but from what I read on here and what other 240 people were telling me, the fuel pump was on it's way out, which is why I started off by replacing it.
ianmyers is offline   Reply With Quote