View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
ianmyers
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
ianmyers is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntdevil View Post
You will need to troubleshoot the issue.

First start out with the first issue. The starting issue.
What is not working? Just because you changed the spark plugs, does not mean its not electrical. Pull out one of your spark plug wires, put the metal in inside of it near a ground source like your strut tower bolts or something similar, and have someone turn over the car to see if it sparks each time. Remember to pull the others as well so the car doesn't actually start.
Make sure not to have your hand near the metal pin as it will give you a shocking pain.

If those work, than that means you are getting spark.

Next, pull the fuel line hose off of your intake manifold and put it into a water bottle. Turn the key to prime the engine with fuel. If no fuel comes out, than your fuel pump is dead or the filter is extremely clogged. If a little comes out, then it may mean your fuel filter is clogged so pull it, and try to blow through it. If it is difficult to blow through, than there is a clog inside of it and you will need a new one. If it is easy, than it is clear and may be else where in the line.

If you have both of those, than it will be a compression/engine issue. Hopefully it is not.

Let us know what you find.

For the second issue, it actually is not an issue.
The reason it revs so high is because the engine is trying to get up to temperature as quickly as it can when you first start it. If you have been driving the car for awhile and it starts revving too high at idle when you stop at a light or something than it may mean one of the sensors like the temperature sensor or Maf sensor is reading wrong and to make sure to just clean them.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.
Thanks for the response. This information definitely helped. The spark plugs, ignition coil, and distributor are all working as they should be. The cap and rotor are also clean inside the distributor. The car died on me today and left me stranded so before I left I went through a few things to try and get the car to start. A friend of mine told me his fuel pump wouldn't work for him on his 89 hatch 100% of the time so he said tapping it a few times would solve the problem. I tried the same thing and my car started right up. Due to this I'm about 99% sure the fuel pump is the issue so I'm getting a new one and installing it tomorrow. I'm also getting a fuel filter while I'm at it to eliminate another possible problem. The car has 245,000 miles so I'm positive it could use a new filter.

For the second "problem":
I understand that the car idles high to warm up faster and then slows down once the engine is warm. My concern was that the engine was idling much lower (350-400rpms) than normal. Originally, the car would idle at exactly 1000 when at a stoplight and around 700 when I would put it in neutral while moving. Recently however, the car would idle at 600 while stopped, and around 500-550 while slowing down. I'm guessing this is also due to the faulty fuel pump because after I smacked it a couple times and the car started, my rpm's were back to normal.

Thanks again for the help. I hope the fuel pump solves my immediate issues.
ianmyers is offline   Reply With Quote